Saturday, April 25, 2015

Lathe Stand Build 01 - Intro and Lumber

Starting a new project today.... It's a shop project!!! Ok so I got a lathe and quickly realized that it will need a good place to live in my shop. There are some requirements that it will need to have:
1) Must be Heavy and Sturdy for the lathe.
2) Must have storage for the tools and accessories.
3) Must be easy to clean.
4) Must be easy to move.

Ok with that in mind here is what I have come up with:

This first image shows the basic stand, main carcass will be made using a combination of 4x4's and 2x4's with a double layer of plywood for the top, the edging for the top will be Cherry wood. The joinery will be traditional Mortise and Tenon and the top will be screwed on to the base from the bottom.
Heavy and Sturdy CHECK!
Easy to Clean CHECK!



















Then I will make a cabinet much like the ones in my workbench made with plywood sides and drawers and all the exposed edges will have Cherry edging.
Plenty of storage CHECK!




















The cabinet will fit in the open area of the stand to become a all in one Lathe Unit.







Heavy and Sturdy CHECK!
Plenty of Storage CHECK!
Easy to Clean CHECK!
Easy to Move...Hmm.

Well I will probably be using the same casters I have on my workbench, the great part about them is that they lift the cabinet up when it needs to be moved, but the move out of the way so that the cabinet will rest on its feet and stay sturdy, the only downside is the casters cost almost as much as the rest of the stand put together but still not to bad.

Easy to Move CHECK!









Ok now for a shopping list:

STAND
2 - 4"x4"x8' Lumber = $17
2 - 2"x4"x8' Lumber = $6
2 - 40"x16"x3/4" Baltic Birch Plywood = $25 (I had half a sheet already but here you can spend a lot or save a lot depending on the quality of plywood you use.)
1 - 4"x3/4"x8' Cherry board = $15 (Again save a lot if you use cheaper wood)

CABINET
1 - 4'x4'x1/2" Plywood = $25 (Again here you can save money depending on the quality of plywood.)

CASTERS
1 - Pack of 4 workbench casters = $65 (These I will be buying next time they go on sale)

I started by cutting down the lumber to lengths.

LEGS, using 4x4's I cut them to 30" long using the miter saw.











STRETCHERS, using the miter saw again I cut from the 2x4's and 4x4's
Long ones are 32" (they will be 30" long and have 1" tenons on each size).
Short ones are 7.5" (they will be 5.5" long and have 1" tenons on each size)




















TOP, using the plywood I cut 2 pieces to 40"x16" and glued them together, once dry I will be putting the cherry edging all around this top.


















Here is a pic of all the rough milled lumber sitting onto of my workbench which basically shows what this stand will look like. Except no vises, to dog holes, no space between top and cabinet for holdfasts, basically much easier and simpler...























Ok so will all the boards rough milled and ready for joinery, this is a good place to end this post.
Stay tuned for the next phase of the build.

No comments:

Post a Comment