Thursday, September 11, 2014

Computer Stand Pt. 1

So here is the challenge, I have been asked to build a small 2 shelf computer stand, it needs to fit under a desk and have ventilation for the computer, the computer he is using is the new Mac Pro, yes the one that looks like a turbine... Interestingly that computer has the fans running vertical it pulls air from the bottom and pushes it up to the top, so we need a stand which can let air through. What I have come up with is a simple 4 post legs, a top and a shelf. The top and the shelf will be made of 3/4" slats with 3/4" gaps between them held together at the ends. The Dimensions of the project will be close to 16" Tall 22" Long and 9-3/4" Wide.

Initial Design:

Decided to use White Oak for this project and went out and got two 8' long 4/4 boards, the first board is 8" wide and the second was 6" wide.

Rough Board:

I started rough milling the wood, I jointed 1 edge with my #5 hand plane then ran it through my planer to get to 3/4" thickness then cut out the rough slats 15 of them to be exact... rough dimensions are 1-1/2" by 21" (final dimensions will be 1-1/4" x 20"), then I stickered (Put them on boards) them to dry and get acclimated to the shop humidity. Then I started on the legs, which consist of two 3/4" boards laminated together and once dry I cut them to rough dimensions of 17" x 1-3/4" x 1-3/4" (final dimensions will be 16" x 1-1/2" x 1-1/2". That is as far as I got so far... Pieces are all drying in the shop and next I will be gluing the slats together.

Rough Cut Parts:



No comments:

Post a Comment