Sunday, September 21, 2014

Computer Stand Pt. 2

Ok as most of you probably know last weekend we went through a heat wave and it got to be around 106 here at the house, and not having AC in the garage/shop it was pretty much impossible to get any work done out there... But this weekend I was able to get back and work on the computer stand.
I started by sub-assembling part of the 2 shelves and cutting all the joinery for the stand.

















Then I started dry fitting all the pieces together to see where I needed to fine tune and make sure all the parts fit together. I first fit the bottom rails to the legs.

















Then I the bottom shelf and top rails went on, held with clamps, still a dry assembly.

















Next I fit the top shelf and clamped everything tight to see how all the joinery was looking.

















A close up inspection of the joinery shows that everything is fitting tight and is basically ready for some sanding and the glue up.

















Once I marked all the pieces that needed some fine tuning and fitting I went ahead and took the whole thing apart and started sanding, then I did some more sanding and then some more... LOL! I also cut chamfers at the bottom of the legs and prepared everything for the glue up... Stay tuned for Pt. 3 where I will be gluing up the stand and sanding some more. I am still deciding what kind of stain and finish, or no stain and finish, Oil? Shellac? Poly? It will need to stand up to some moderate heat from the computer and any electronics put on top of it, but having the slats should keep it cool.

No comments:

Post a Comment