Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tool Chest Build 01 - Design & Sketchup

I am starting a new project today, it is a tool chest. The original design is from Fine Woodworking Magazine #234, I will be changing a few things but for the most part I am going with that.






















This is the image from Fine Woodworking, I am posting so at the end of this I can compare... Not sure if this is a good idea LOL!

Ok so I usually first start by using Google Sketchup to model it, even though the article has plans, this serves 2 purposes. 1) I can see how the changes in size I want to make will look. 2) When I use sketchup I model the parts as if I was building them in wood, so I know what I need to cut, how parts will fit together and how the joinery will work, helps my brain get around it.




















Here is the Sketchup model I made pretty close to the original but the sizes are different and I will be using Ash for the Light wood and I have some cool looking Walnut Burl coming for the drawer fronts and the lid panels.

Ok well the easy part is done... Now onto making some saw dust.

No comments:

Post a Comment