Sunday, February 8, 2015

Tool Chest Build 02 - Dovetails

After Dimensioning and cutting the lumber for the main parts the fun starts.

Dovetails.
I laid out the dovetails using a knife and a 1/8 slope, these dovetails will be a strong joint holding the bottom panel so no matter what it cannot fall down... even if the glue fails (Which it won't) but even if it did the mechanical bond created by the shape of the dovetails will not let it fall out. Ok so after I laid them out it was time to cut them, I cut them with a hand saw and cleaned them up using chisels. I love doing joinery by hand I just enjoy it more.




























First I cut the angles with the saw and cleaned them up with the chisels.




























Close up shots are cool....LOL!




























After the tails are done I use them to make the pins, then again cut with the saw and and chop down with the chisels. Shown above before the chisel step.




























Here is a wide shot of how I work on my bench. Using a Vise on the edge which isn't seen here to hold the boards while I saw them down, then I lay them flat on the bench and use a holdfast (Metal clamp that uses holes in the bench to essentially clamp down the work).

Ok well I really hope the fit once I put them together...

No comments:

Post a Comment